The recent nationwide recall of eggs does not affect our area in Northern Virginia (Washington, DC metropolitan area).
The recall affects eggs shipped since May 16, 2010 were sent to food wholesalers, distribution centers and foodservice companies in California, Illinois, Missouri, Colorado, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Arizona, Texas, Georgia, Washington (state), Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Iowa.
- The current recall of eggs in their shells, or â€œshell eggs,â€ is part of an ongoing and intensive investigation by local, state, and federal officials into the cause of recent cases of Salmonella Enteritidis.
- This recall affects shell eggs produced by Wright County Egg of Galt, Iowa. The eggs are packaged under different brand names and distributed nationwide.
- The shell eggs may contain Salmonella Enteritidis (SE) and may cause serious illness.
- Salmonella can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.
- Consumers should throw away the product or return the product to the store