“Every tooth in a man’s head is more valuable than a diamond.”
– Miguel de Cervantes
- REGULAR soft, smaller is better, angled helps – name brand, e.g. Oral-B.
- ELECTRIC TOOTHBRUSH, All powered brushes improve effectiveness — rechargeable is best.
- DENTURE BRUSH, for retainers, bite guards, dentures.
- DRY BRUSHING, brush until your teeth feel smooth (soft), not by time, click here.
- TARTAR PROTECTION (ingredient: pyrophosphate)
>> preferred: PEROXICARE, ADVANCE WHITE, or COMPLETE CARE (Arm & Hammer)
- SENSITIVE, 5% potassium nitrate (with tartar protection / control): Colgate Sensitive Complete Protection or Sensodyne Tartar Control. Colgate and Sensodyne have the only desensitizing toothpastes with tartar control.
- BIOTENE for dry mouth. Also for canker sores, it has no SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate).
Sensitive toothpaste warning label
If I have recommended that you can/should use Sensodyne toothpaste, it is best used exclusively all the time.
- Q: Why does the package state that if the pain or sensitivity still persists after 4 weeks of use, we should visit the dentist?
- A: The FDA requires this statement on the packaging of all over-the-counter desensitizing toothpastes. Sensitive teeth may indicate a more serious problem that may need to have prompt care by a dentist. Your dental professional may recommend that you use Sensodyne daily if he or she has ruled out other dental or medical issues.
- FLOSS, GLIDE, Teflon shred resistant, easiest to use. Also available in GLIDE FLOSS PICKS. Floss your the lower front teeth every brushing (and … work up to flossing all of your teeth every time you brush). Professional flossing: floss on middle fingers.
- Oral-B Glide Pro-Health Threader Floss, floss under bridges, splints, and/or braces, click here.
- GUM SOFT PICKS, ADVANCED longer than the ‘Original’ and easy to use even on back teeth, click here.
- PLATYPUS FLOSSERS for braces, click here.
- OTHER, floss holders, toothpicks, Stimudents, etc.
- SALT WATER, more effective than mouthwash any day. A saturated solution (4 teaspoons table salt / pint of water, or 1 teaspoon in 4 ounces of water) swished between teeth for at least a minute. More effective because: much more comfortable and tolerable, antibacterial, no alcohol, easily available, cheaper. Time of day doesn’t matter, often leaving it premixed in the shower is very helpful (pint bottle with a sport top).
- THERASOL, antibacterial (ethoxylated tertiary amine and capryl/capramidopropylbetaine). Special order, click here.
- PEROXYL, diluted, mild mint flavored hydrogen peroxide (1.5%), no alcohol.
NOTE, try to limit use to 2 weeks – PerioGard, Peridex, chlorhexidine gluconate. Although these products are antibacterial, the side effects of increased tartar and stain can be substantial, and there is an equally effective solution without those side effects, TheraSol.