“Every tooth in a man’s head is more valuable than a diamond.”
– Miguel de Cervantes
- REGULAR soft, smaller is better, angled helps – name brand, e.g. Oral-B.
- ELECTRIC TOOTHBRUSH, All powered brushes improve effectiveness — rechargeable is best. Philips Sonicare Flexcare Platinum Connected Rechargeable Toothbrush, click here.
- DENTURE BRUSH, for retainers, bite guards, dentures.
- DRY BRUSHING, brush until your teeth feel smooth (soft), not by time, click here.
- TARTAR PROTECTION (ingredient: pyrophosphate)
>> preferred: PEROXICARE, ADVANCE WHITE, or COMPLETE CARE (Arm & Hammer)
- SENSITIVE, 5% potassium nitrate (with tartar protection / control): Colgate Sensitive Complete Protection or Sensodyne Tartar Control. Colgate and Sensodyne have the only desensitizing toothpastes with tartar control.
- BIOTENE for dry mouth. Also for canker sores, it has no SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate).
Sensitive toothpaste warning label
If I have recommended that you can/should use Sensodyne toothpaste, it is best used exclusively all the time.
- Q: Why does the package state that if the pain or sensitivity still persists after 4 weeks of use, we should visit the dentist?
- A: The FDA requires this statement on the packaging of all over-the-counter desensitizing toothpastes. Sensitive teeth may indicate a more serious problem that may need to have prompt care by a dentist. Your dental professional may recommend that you use Sensodyne daily if he or she has ruled out other dental or medical issues.
- FLOSS, GLIDE, Teflon shred resistant, easiest to use. Also available in floss picks. Floss your the lower front teeth every brushing. Professional flossing: floss on middle fingers.
- Oral-B GLIDE THREADER, floss threaders for under bridges, splints, and/or braces.
- GUM SOFT PICKS, ADVANCED longer than the ‘Original’ and easy to use even on back teeth.
- PLATYPUS FLOSSERS for braces.
- INTERDENTAL BRUSH (Oral-B) or PROXABRUSH® (Butler), save your handle replace the brushes. The Oral-B handle is much easier to use. Butler and Oral-B make travel versions. Use this from both the cheek side and tongue side.
- OTHER, floss holders, toothpicks, Stimudents®, etc.
- SALT WATER, more effective than mouthwash any day. A saturated solution (4 teaspoons / pint of water or 1 teaspoon in 4 ounces of water) swished between teeth for at least a minute. More effective because: much more comfortable and tolerable, antibacterial, no alcohol, easily available, cheaper. Time of day doesn’t matter, often leaving it premixed in the shower is very helpful (pint bottle with a sport top).
- THERASOL, antibacterial (ethoxylated tertiary amine and capryl/capramidopropylbetaine). Special order, click here.
- PEROXYL, diluted, mild mint flavored hydrogen peroxide (1.5%), no alcohol.
NOTE, no longer than 2 weeks – PerioGard, Peridex, chlorhexidine gluconate. Although these products are antibacterial, the side effects of increased tartar and stain are substantial, AND there is an equally effective solution without those side effects, TheraSol.
- Waterpik® (model WP-670, White Aquarius) With baking soda, two teaspoons per full reservoir at the highest pressure setting that is comfortable, click here.
Sorbitol and mannitol are the primary sweeteners in most sugarless gums, and although they reduce decay compared to sucrose (commonly referred to as ‘sugar’), xylitol does not cause decay.
- NICOTINE REDUCTION (patch / gum / lozenge / Rx tablet – inhaler) an aid to overcome the physical dependence of tobacco.
- DENAVIR, prescription required, antiviral cream for cold sores.
- FLUORIDE SUPPLEMENTS, prescription required, for children up through age 16.
- VITAMIN/MINERAL SUPPLEMENTS: Centrum or it’s equivalent. You can check the effectiveness/requirement by your fingernails.
- STRESS REDUCTION: physical exercise, meditation, biofeedback, medication, nutrition.
- BRUSH / SCRAPE YOUR TONGUE, stain is from bacteria that “pick-up” dark pigments from your diet. Tongue scrapers can also help prevent halitosis.
- DISCLOSING SOLUTION to show where plaque remains on teeth, click here (2 Tone Disclosing Solution).
- DENTEK CANKER COVER for canker sores, more info click here.
- KANKA®, ORAJEL® for irritations from braces, retainers or dentures.
- SOAK for dentures, biteguards, retainers: plain, undiluted, white vinegar.